Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte (Black Forest Cherry Cake)
Chocolate Sponge Cake
- 300 g butter
- 5 eggs
- 200g sugar,
- 300g flour
- 30 g cocoa
- 15 g bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 450g-jar pitted sour cherries, drained well
- 600 g sweet cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 2 teaspoons whipping cream stiffener
- chocolate curls, for decoration
Chocolate Sponge Cake:
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Grease only the bottom of a 26cm round springform cake tin and line the base with baking paper. Mix together butter, sugar, cocoa and eggs for two minutes.
- Put into flour and baking soda. Mix together for another minute.
- Put the batter into the cake tin. Give the tin a light tap on the kitchen bench to get rid of any large bubbles in the batter.
- Bake for about 45 minutes.
- Let the Cake base become hypothermic. Then cut it twice, so that you get three big discs.
- Whip the cream with vanilla sugar and whipping cream stiffener.
- Put half of the cherries on the first bottom. Put a quarter of the cream above.
- Apply the second bottom above. Put half of the cream above.
- Apply the third bottom above. Remaining cream above and around the cake. At the end decorate with cream topping, remaining cherries and chocolate curls.